Natural Diuretics: The Best Supplements & Foods
What are the Natural Diuretics?
Here at Best Price Nutrition we receive a lot of questions through our live chat and on the phone about natural diuretics. Normally what do we have that can help and what they are exactly. For starters these are normally herbs or supplements that help your body remove excess sodium, water and other fluids. They are very popular during diets, people going on vacation or fitness enthusiasts doing shows. That's because it helps you look like you lost more weight due to the excess fluid being gone from the body. Basically it will help reduce water retention.
Some popular Natural Diuretic ingredients over the years have been tea, horsetail, dandelion, ginger, parsley, hawthorn and juniper. Many supplement companies are now coming out with more customized formulas to have many of these ingredients in just one product.
How do Natural Diuretics Work?
By working directly with the kidney and reducing water retention. They work by helping the kidney excrete more sodium into the urine. This means that you are going to be losing much more water and other fluids than normal. So basically you are going to pee much more than usual.
Who Should Use Natural Diuretics?
As we mentioned before, many bodybuilders use them in order to look extra ripped before a show. It gives you a much dryer look, which judges love. But you don't have to be a bodybuilder to use it. Many people looking to lose more weight or those holding onto more water enjoy using a Natural Diuretic. But before jumping on this bandwagon, the Best Price Nutrition team highly recommends you speak with a doctor first, especially if you have any medical conditions such as high blood pressure, heart failure, edema, diabetes.
But you need to remember as well, a sudden spike in water retention could be caused by some sort of new medical problem, so best to speak with your doctor.
And we don't want you to just count on these types of supplements to lose weight. They are best used in conjunction with a good diet, sleep and exercise in order to get the best results.
On a side note, we have heard of people using the following types of supplements and foods for dogs and cats. This is something we are not going to even get into. Using these for pets is something you would definitely want to speak to your doctor or vet about, not us!
Can you take a diuretic when pregnant?
We have heard of doctors prescribing these for pregnant women, but normally for other conditions besides bloating and excess water. This is another question that is better suited for your doctor.
Supplements that Can Help with Excess Water
- Hydravax - This is one of our best selling diuretic supplements on our website. We normally send over 100 bottles per month of this formula. Customers love stacking it with other fat burning supplements such as Synedrex. It uses a proprietary blend of some of the best ingredients for removing excess water through the urine. This is a pill formula.
- Waterloss - This is a powder/drink formula diuretic that is very popular as well. Probably our most popular one that you drink.
- Hydradry - This is another popular pill formula. It is by Allmax Nutrition, which is one of the most trusted companies in the industry.
- Dandelion - While not really a supplement, but an ingredient, this is probably the most popular single ingredient used for excess water. It is very high in potassium, and helps push more excess water out of the body. Many supplements you will find contain this ingredient.
Got the Supplements? What are Natural Diuretic Foods?
- Asparagus - Because of the amino acid Asparagine, this will help fight water weight. You can also buy Astragalus Root, which can be found on our website if you don't want to eat the food.
- Beats - Very high in potassium which helps reduce excess water weight.
- Cabbage - Along with having more fiber and water, it helps reduce excess water in the body.
- Celery - The phthalides in celery have been shown to help remove more water from the body.
- Cranberries - They have been shown to help remove excess water and leaving potassium.
- Garlic - Just like the smell you love, it works as a natural diuretic.
- Cucumbers - The sulfur and silicon in cucumbers help increase urine frequency.
- Parsley - This food helps reduce the re-absorption of sodium and potassium salts in the kidney.
- Watermelon - It is mainly water, but has a high potassium content. Because of the citrulline content, it can help reduce overall water retention.
There are a ton of teas out there that are for dropping excess water as well. You can even make your own. We highly suggest you just buy a tea though, as they are cheap and normally have the ingredients you want in them. One of the best selling teas we sell for water weight and bloating is Dandelion Tea.
Like any other herbal supplement, they do come with side effects to watch out for. While not common, they do happen to users:
- Muscle Cramps
Directions & Dosage
Both men and women can use these types of supplements. We not recommend anyone under the age of 21.
Each Diuretic supplement will be different. But most of them have one thing in common. You need to stay hydrated when taking them. We highly recommend getting at least 6 glasses of water per day when taking a diuretic. But better yet, listen to the directions on the bottle and/or talk to your doctor.
Diuretics are not for everyone. If you are on a good diet you have been successful with and want to lose that last bit of water, it is definitely something to try and see if it works for you. But remember, it is not without its side effects, so stick to the directions on the bottle, as well as the warnings. If you have any questions about using these types of supplements, the Best Price Nutrition team is here to help. Please feel free to chat with us live or call our toll free number.